stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Holy Crap!

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action, folks! You know he's got God on his side."
Bill Hicks

While there are those who look forward to the "Pope Tour '08" as a great spiritual event, personally I just wanted to see this year's model of the Popemobile. And frankly, I'm a bit disapointed. This one looks like a Mercedes SUV that collided with a bus-stop, although there are those who feel it more resembles a dunking-booth on wheels. I think they should have gone for an "out of the box" design, sort of along the lines of a see-through "Madden-cruiser". And while they are at it they could take a page from Madden and get some corporate sponsorship. Maybe they could lose the hokey "Popemobile" moniker and come up with a catchy name like "The Holy Roller".

But rest assured that oportunistic merchants look well positioned to take advantage of the "Pope-0-Mania" that seems to be sweeping the land. Some of the better "Pope Paraphernalia" include the Pope On A Rope and the Pope Benedict bobble head, which comes off as far less menacing than the real deal. But I'm kinda' partial to The Enforcer t-shirts, referencing his past heavy hitter days back when he was known as Cardinal Ratzinger.

But I'm really mystified about the absence of souvenir hats, which are omnipresent at every sporting event and tourist trap that I've ever been to. Given the wide variety of papal head-wear that I've seen him photographed in, I'm shocked that we haven't seen more people selling plastic "Pope Hats". But there's still time.
|| JM, 11:27 PM

7 Comments:

I find the whole thing pathetic.
Blogger Mary, at 9:25 AM  
It's a sad commentary when the statement that they will "exclude pedophiles from the ministry" is news. And with the cost of security for the visit coming in at about $1 million per day, it seems like a bit of a waste. God forbid (no pun intended) that these moneys could be spent on something that benefited people in need.
Blogger JM, at 9:48 AM  
Does the Pope even need a "bubble"? Is it bulletproof?
Blogger John Good, at 9:50 PM  
Bulletproof, and ironically enough ugly as sin. Perhaps another hungry entrepreneur will make a plastic toy version that functions as an aquarium?
Blogger JM, at 11:36 PM  
I think the merchandising is perfect. After all, while so many of his followers are languishing in poverty, why not have earnings be the focus of his visit? I mean, come on, the Vatican is struggling!!

Actually, my reaction to the Pope visiting is a big yawn. I would like to have a Pope Mobile, though.
Blogger STP, at 6:56 AM  
The Catholic church is courting the Mexican immigrant. I'm sure parishes ran bus trips to get all those people you see there. Bill Hicks is hysterical and so true. Europe gave up on religion and I'm waiting for the US to follow suit.
Blogger Liz, at 5:49 PM  
John Good- An attempt was made on the life of the last pope so yes he definitely needs the bubble. Many people despise the Catholic church for various reasons. My favorite line was when the news media said he was keeping the window down on that thing to "be closer to the people." HA!!!
Blogger Liz, at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment