stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, February 25, 2008

No Corvairs For Old Men



He's kidding; right? I can only hope that the recent announcement from Ralph Nader that he intends to run for President again is a joke. How could he possibly think that it's a good idea or something that ANYBODY is clamoring for? It's bad enough that he might have been the spoiler who delivered the Presidency to Dubya in 2000, and there's just no need to go down that road again. Perhaps his narcissistic ego needs to be stroked every few years, but couldn't he find another way to go about it? I hate to question his sincerity, but if he were really serious about this, shouldn't we have seen some evidence of building a progressive coalition that could evolve into a legitimate 3rd party? But to roll this "sctick" out every four years gets pretty old and isn't helpful in moving his supposed agenda forward.

It's beginning to resemble the repeated campaigns of Pat Paulsen, but at least they had the benefit of being funny, and Nader's attempts benefit nobody. Except Republicans. A few planks from the Paulsen platform:

  • "All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
  • "We have nothing to fear but fear itself...and of course the boogieman."
  • "I am neither left wing nor right wing. I am middle-of-the-bird."
  • "I feel proud to be living in a country where people are not afraid to laugh at themselves and where political satire is tolerated by the government, if not the television network."
  • I must choose my words carefully in order to avoid any negative interpretation. Among politicians, this is a tactic known as lying.”
  • "I belong to the Self Talking American Government Party, or STAG Party for short."
  • "The right to bear arms? No, I believe in the right to arm bears."
  • “Many of you have asked why it’s taken me so long to select a running mate. I have no intention of reaching into the political grab bag and grabbing any man to be my running mate. I’m going to reach in and grab a woman!”
  • "Manifest destiny? What's in it for me?"


  • || JM, 11:59 AM

    9 Comments:

    I'm not sure it's ego with Ralph. I think he wants to help but like a pesky friend, no one asked for his help.
    Blogger Liz, at 1:19 PM  
    Could be, but with usually with most pesky, well-intentioned people you ignore them and they just go away. Why can't we be as lucky?
    Blogger JM, at 1:52 PM  
    I just understand what the problem with having more choices is.
    Blogger Frederick, at 6:55 PM  
    don't*
    Blogger Frederick, at 6:55 PM  
    I'll assume you mean that you don't have a problem with more choices, which is true. I can't argue with any of the very valid points that Nader raises. The problem that I have is that others have raised the same issues and have failed to capture the attention and support of voters. Given that politics is the art of the possible, the best way to achieve change is through a viable candidate. If he thinks that Obama lacks the ability to get things done as President, he'd have to be freakin' delusional to think he'd be any more capable.
    Blogger JM, at 7:27 PM  
    I believe Nader cares about people, but his ego has so intertwined with his idealism that he has allowed his role to go to his head. He's become a sad mockery of what was once a valuable man. Mr. Nader, please go away!
    Blogger STP, at 8:48 PM  
    Why should Bill Clinton be the only one having fun besmirching a legacy?
    Blogger JM, at 8:59 PM  
    But. . .but. . .he DID get 1/3 of 1% last time around!
    Blogger John Good, at 9:15 PM  
    So if the drop-off from his level of support in 2000 continues, he should garner about 12 votes, right?
    Blogger JM, at 9:29 PM  

    Post a Comment