stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Aloha!

I was recently talking to a friend who told me of an impending trip to Maui. Since the temperature today barely made it into the double digits, it's not hard to make me yearn for the warm sea-breezes and sun-drenched beaches of Hawaii. Of course, I had to get in the inevitable plug for a visit to my favorite restaurant, Mama's Fish House. Even if there were no other attractions or reasons to go to Maui, the existence of Mama's would be motive enough to buy a plane ticket. Maybe they will bring me a doggy bag since I'm not going anytime soon.

But as the conversation progressed, I remembered going to another place I enjoyed on the Lahaina waterfront, but I couldn't recall the name of the restaurant. I probably liked it as much for the oceanfront view from the deck and the many beers I had downed as much as the food, but it was still a memorable night. Heck, a mediocre day in Hawaii will beat a good day in New Jersey pretty much everytime. Later in the day as I was putting away laundry, I realized that I had purchased a souvenir t-shirt from the restaurant, which listed what they called "Kimo's Maui Rules". Since I haven't bothered to post anything for a long time, this seems like a fitting way to break the silence and begin the new year. with some good rules to live by...

  • Never judge a day by the weather.
  • The best things in life aren't things.
  • Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
  • Goals are deceptive. The unaimed arrow never misses.
  • He who dies with the most toys - still dies.
  • Age is relative - when you're over the hill, you pick up speed.
  • There are two ways to be rich - make more or desire less.
  • Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
  • No rain - No rainbows.

  • || JM, 11:50 PM

    4 Comments:

    Never been to Hawaii, but I shall remember your advice should I ever get there. And that bit about "Looks mean nothing. Beauty is internal.": um, could you tell that to my mirror? Happy New Year! Soon we shall have seen the last of Bush! Yea!
    Blogger Neil Shakespeare, at 4:12 AM  
    I tell it to MY mirror daily. And let's hope that Bush's lame duck days aren't too lame.
    Blogger JM, at 8:24 AM  
    Well; I like those rules; and as I get older I believe them even more! ~tk
    Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  
    I like the "loud shirt" rule, but the wife refuses to be seen in public with me when I wear them.
    Blogger JM, at 9:32 AM  

    Post a Comment