stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Dark Clouds

Sometimes you stop to take a breath, meaning to finish a sentence but change your mind midstream, and you create an awkward silence. So it's been with blogging recently. At first I was just busy and exhausted, but then the convergence of several sad events and my increasing ambivalence towards blogging left me with no time or motivation for updates.

One of those dark clouds rolled in last week. Far too many times we read headlines like Man shoots ex-girlfriend, then kills himself that we've become almost jaded to the horror and pain that an event like this entails. Thankfully, it isn't often that it happens in your own back yard with you knowing the person responsible, even if you didn't know them as well as you thought.

Making any comments at all risks trivializing a tragic and unexpected event. But one reaction I've heard surprises me greatly; those who are looking at the event and trying to find some logic to his action. These aren't the behaviors of a person who is thinking and functioning rationally. It's hard to imagine feeling the total absence of possibilities, that this would allow this to be an option. Probably not what the framers of the Second Amendment had in mind at all. The bottom line is that without easy access to guns, things like this wouldn't occur so frequently.

I wish I could say this event was the source of my blogging malaise, but it probably isn't. We'll see if there is a reset button floating around to be found, or if this is a full blown case of Ted Barlow's Disease. Sometimes a little "time-out" refreshes the spirit.
|| JM, 10:58 AM

5 Comments:

Sanity is a flimsy thing.
Blogger Flimsy Sanity, at 2:21 PM  
Wow, that is a horrifying story; I'm sorry it hit so close to home...take care ~tk
Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM  
There's a couple horrifying stories in the news right now. Don't have much to say lately myself. The world needs a reset button right about now.
Blogger Mary, at 11:29 AM  
I think these personal blog posts are your best.
Blogger Liz, at 3:24 PM  
And the funny thing Liz is that I'm least inclined to do that type of posting for a variety of reasons. First off, it violates the "no effort" rule that I've always applied to blogging. And since I'm a typical guy, being emotionally open and honest isn't something that comes easy, so that area is off limits. Then there's that legal document I have to sign off on annually at work that pretty much makes talking about work a crime. And when I DO have a topic that makes it around all these restrictions, most of the time it still falls victim to self-censorship, or else I read it and realize it's a complete piece of crap. The bottom line is that most of it winds up in the recycle bin sparing EVERYBODY from the pain of another half-assed rambling rant.
Blogger JM, at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment