stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

This Just In...

I did a real double-take when I saw the headlines "Gay wins gold at the world championships" and then "Tyson Delivers Knockout Blow" pop up on my start page today. In both cases I though we were traveling back in time to a place where tolerance wasn't as prevalent, and back when Mike Tyson was still fighting. My confusion was cleared up quickly enough when I clicked the links. But I hate to see misleading headlines even when I expect them. Every time I pick up the sports page and see the headline "CHRIST THE KING BEATS..." I get a vision of Jesus kicking the crap out of somebody, even though I know I'm reading about a basketball game.

Expecting the press to act responsibly just may be too much to hope for, since their lack of objectivity as the selling of the Iraq war occurred still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. The boosterism exhibited by many media outlets was a shameful example of what happens when an independent press is lacking. What was probably a well-meaning attempt at patriotism produced disastrous results. Ironically using partial truths and information edited to reflect bias is commonly used by both news organizations and politicians alike, so this isn't a case of strange bedfellows at all. Too bad that the "AAD" world we live in plants these half-truths in the heads of many of those who are exposed to them.

But enough angry ranting for now, and perhaps it would be a good time to review some of the other bad headlines that have made it into print before:

  • March Planned For Next August
  • Blind Bishop Appointed To See
  • Lingerie Shipment Hijacked--Thief Gives Police The Slip
  • Patient At Death's Door--Doctors Pull Him Through
  • Latin Course To Be Canceled--No Interest Among Students, Et Al.
  • Queen Mary Having Bottom Scraped
  • Antique Stripper to Display Wares at Store
  • Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
  • Lawyers Give Poor Free Legal Advice
  • Killer Sentenced to Die for Second Time in 10 Years
  • 20-Year Friendship Ends at Altar
  • Blind Woman Gets New Kidney from Dad She Hasn't Seen in Years
  • Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Experts Say
  • Many Antiques Seen at D.A.R. Meeting
  • Shot Off Woman's Leg Helps Nicklaus to 66
  • Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
  • Steals Clock, Faces Time
  • || JM, 7:31 PM

    2 Comments:

    Speaking of manipulating the news, I am being too cynical thinking that Bush sat on the Gonzo resignation and timed it so that it would be in competition with the Michael Vick story for airtime?

    Good riddance, although too little, too late. But I'll take it as good news nonetheless. I'm just worried that he'll be replaced by another lackey who is as contemptuous towards actually upholding the law as Gonzo was.
    Blogger JM, at 10:36 AM  
    But perhaps Mr. Gay is...well...you know. Then the headline would be doubly accurate. ;-)

    And, before I forget my manners, I just noticed that you rolled Blognonymous.

    Thanks. It's much appreciated, and I'm rolling your blog as we speak.
    Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM  

    Post a Comment