stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fast Night

Although most people refer to today as "Fat Tuesday" or "Pancake Day", in my old neck of the woods we'd think of it as "Fastnacht Day" (meaning the night before the fast). A "Pennsylvania Dutch" tradition that came from Germany it was a way to get rid of all the fatty substances found around the house prior to Lent, when these were to be avoided.

These rich hunks of unleavened potato dough are deep fried, then covered in powdered sugar. Unlike a donut these puppies don't have holes, but don't be surprised to see supermarket versions that actually have them. According to a piece containing Fastnacht Recipes & Traditions the proper way to eat one of these is to slice it like a bagel, and slather it with butter and syrup. This is news to me, since I've usually just shoved them down the 'ol pie hole. Although most of the time I coulda' cared less about them back when I could get them, now that I can't find them I have a major craving. But I always want what I can't have.

And now that I'm obsessing, here are a few more of the PA treats that I haven't had for ages that I'm suddenly longing for:

  • Scrapple: One of the many dishes that sounds, and many say looks disgusting, this is also sometimes referred to as Pon Haus. A mash-up of meal, pork scraps, and the ominously described "trimmings" (don't ask) it's formed into a loaf, then sliced, fried, and served with maple syrup. An acquired taste probably, but it can be a tasty treat.
  • Hog Maw: First, you get a pig's stomach. Still with me? Then stuff that baby with cubed potatoes, crumbled-up sausage, onions, celery, then bake or boil to taste. Cut into slices and enjoy! Trust me, it's better than it sounds.
  • Lebanon Bologna: Although I occasionally find this at the local A&P, it differs from the other stuff that masquerades as bologna, since it has been smoked and cured. What I can only find in PA is the variant "sweet bologna" which adds a sweet taste to the smokey flavor.
  • Pickled Eggs: Sometimes known as "pickled beet eggs" these aren't that tough to make, but I'm just lazy.

  • Great; I previously threatened to turn this into a recipe blog and it looks like I'm now one step closer.
    || JM, 12:12 AM

    5 Comments:

    Never heard of fastnachts, but I am definitely celebrating Fat Tuesday today! Enjoy!
    Blogger True Jersey Girl, at 10:17 AM  
    I lived just outside of Philly for a few years but I never could work up the nerve to taste scrapple. We have pickled eggs in the beet stuff in the south. I tasted one once and spit it our faster than the speed of light. God almighty that was awful!

    The little potato deals sound terrific. I don't even know what they taste like but reading about them made my mouth water.
    Blogger pissed off patricia, at 11:11 AM  
    TJG: Try NOT to bring home too many beads!

    POP: Hog Maw is bland, but tasty as contradictory as that might sound. The big turn-off for most people who weren't brought up on it is the way it looks. Try to imagine a big hyper-extended stomach on a platter and you've pretty much nailed it! Not the easiest thing for some people to look at; kinda' the way I feel about the "chicken feet" that they serve at the dim sum restaurant!
    Blogger JM, at 11:27 AM  
    No stomach for me, thanks. No chicken feet either and add to that list no brains and no tongue. But liver? You bet, I love it.
    Blogger pissed off patricia, at 9:49 AM  
    Liz: At the same time?

    POP: Truth be told, I've never eaten the stomach part, just the meat and potatoes. And I'm with you on the rest of the yes/no list, although the liver thing is probably just a result of having it forced down my throat as a child. But smothering it with bacon and fried onions helps, although liver isn't one of the things I ever get a craving for.
    Blogger JM, at 10:02 AM  

    Post a Comment