stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Blagh On!

I've always ignored most of the "rules" when it comes to blogging, probably because like many other things, I don't take it that seriously. They say you should pick a subject you have some expertise on and stick with it. The only thing I'm an expert on is being goofy, and I can't even pull that off consistently. As far as subject matter goes, I'm all over the road, a blogish version of Mel Gibson driving home after a bar hoping tour, just minus the booze and the hate and with a double dose of A.D.D. thrown in for good measure.

They say you should have emergency posts so that you can post frequently and not disappoint your readership. Like the absence of an update from me would ruin your day? When I start taking myself that seriously, please call the authorities and have me committed.

Although occasionally, I'll find too many things to post in one day and I'll have some carry-over, this has pretty much been a spur-of-the moment, organic, mood driven thing. I really though I would have grown bored with this ages ago, and indeed, there have been plenty of times that I have. But just about the time you are ready to say, "seeya later" something comes down the pike that spikes my interest and causes the habit to continue.

But I recently had an "ah-ha" moment that made me realize I started blogging long before I ever heard of the internet. Years ago, when I was in high school I took a fun interdisciplinary course than challenged us to think out of the box. It was taught by an "Odd Couple" match-up of teachers, one an endomorphic macho History teacher, the other an ectomorphic effeminate English teacher. Both were passionate, articulate, intelligent communicators that made the class a highlight of the school day. Although there were tests involved, another requirement was that we had to keep a daily journal, which was to be a reaction to that day's class or current events as filtered through the class content. I have to think that if they were teaching the course today, the requirement would probably be updated to keeping a blog instead.

I stumbled upon my old journals a few years back as I was going through some junk in my old room at my parents' house. I know I'm being a bit narcissistic by saying this, but re-reading them was an interesting time capsule from the past. I hope that they weren't a victim of one of those spring cleaning sessions. I know they did pitch some stuff, because they told me that they didn't pitch my old toys. Most of them are still in the original boxes, since I was indeed an anal-retentive child. I can't even remember most of them, but I just did an eBay search on one, a toy rifle and was surprised to find it selling for $150 to $400! If only I could figure out how to make my other personality quirks pay off!
|| JM, 11:22 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment