stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Secret Word: Funny



I had originally found this clip of Groucho Marx on "You Bet Your Life" posted on TV Squad, reminding me of just how funny his largely ad-libbed responses to contestants really were. The show originally aired in the 50's and early sixties, but thanks to the magic of re-runs (and now YouTube) other generations get the opportunity to appreciate Groucho's talent. But the resemblance of the one woman in this clip to Britney Spears almost ruined it for me. Luckily, there are a ton of other YBYL clips available on YouTube as well; much time wasting fun and laughs to be found.

But if you are looking to find the famous exchange between Groucho and the mother of a large family where he offers a risque response, you'll be disappointed. Supposedly he ask her why she had so many children and she replied "Because I love children ... and I love my husband." Groucho responds "I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while." Sadly, this is probably yet another urban legend.

A few more links on this innovative comic genius just to round things out:
Groucho on TV: The Sixties & Seventies
Letter to Warner Brothers: A Night in Casablanca
Groucho on What's My Line?
Groucho on I Dream Of Jennie
Captain Spaulding: 7 Cent Nickel
Duck Soup Mirror Scene
Tags: , ,
|| JM, 9:18 AM

1 Comments:

That was great. Needed that levity today. Gonna check out the other links too.
Blogger Mary, at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment