stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, January 29, 2007

It's Called The Aristocrats!



I have a bad habit of putting a movie on my Netflix list, and then by the time it gets here I've lost whatever enthusiasm I might have originally had to see it. As a result the DVD sits on the shelf until I break down and watch it, rip it, or return it. That's what happened with The Aristocrats until just recently. In a moment of boredom I finally broke down and watched it, and I was pleasantly suprised. Not for the modest or easily offended, this documentary talks with over 100 comedians about a joke seldom heard outside of the comedy community before this film.

The joke has been told over and over with endless embellishments meant to shock and surprise as well as make the joke an expression of individual style. It's bound to make you squirm uncomfortably (that's part of the point) as well as leaving you laughing out loud. Making it the subject of a blog entry is another case of having an experience or good idea and seeing somebody else doing it first leaving me looking like a plagiaristic putz, but that doesn't always stop me.

Although I loved the card trick version, the one done by Billy The Mime was a close 2nd that just might make me retract all the nasty things I've said about mimes. A few other versions in the event you haven't seen it, but the DVD with all the extras is worth a look if you don't mind people going over the line:
South Park Version
Gilbert Gottfried Version
As Edited for TV Version
|| JM, 8:31 AM

2 Comments:

This is obviously a guy joke session and one needs a ton of testosterone to get it. I don't think I'm in that group.
Blogger Peacechick Mary, at 11:45 AM  
Honestly, the joke isn't all that funny (even if it WAS Johnny Carson's favorite). The humor that's there is just a case of juxtapositioning filth and supposed sophistication. That's why I kept avoiding the movie. But seeing all these top tier comedians perform "their" version, and hearing their thoughts and background material was far more fascinating than I would have imagined. Then again, I'm easily amused.
Blogger JM, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment