stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Half Empty or Half Full?

I did a quick post yesterday and fessed up that my world view can be characterized as pessimistic. Only later did I realize that a statement like that would probably need much clarification. Although my point of view on this stance is certainly not as evolved as a Nietzsche or Schopenhauer, I do want to offer up a few thoughts on the positive power of pessimism.

When most people hear and use the word, it is synonymous for "negativism". It's thought of as being at the opposite end of the spectrum from optimism. One has to be able to choose if the glass is really "half empty"or "half full" as the litmus test of which camp you belong to, which is in reality a foolish distinction to make. Lacking context I've never been able to answer that question. If someone is drinking from it, it's probably a half empty glass. If it has been or is being filled, then it's probably half full. OK, so I'm not a black and white kinda' guy, I see about 20 shades of grey on most things.

It's not that with a pessimistic outlook you think that things will fail, but you recognize that odds favor the negative outcome. So as a result you do your best to plan and execute to produce a positive outcome. "IF" that isn't forthcoming, you aren't the victim of a crushing defeat, but you've just experienced one of the many results that life will sometimes deal. Being prepared for this possible outcome with a contingency plan should allow you to continue towards your goal without missing a beat. Is this negative? Perhaps. Is it realistic? Absolutely.

Does this mean that a pessimist doesn't take risks? No, but it means they may take a careful and considered "look before they leap". Does this mean that they may be critical? Sure, the process of criticism challenges assumptions and solutions and if done creatively and constructively can lead to a better way of doing things. Need I remind anyone of the blind optimism and lack of challenge and criticism as exhibited by our Preznut and his "leadership" the last few years as an example of just how flawed that path can be?

Well I'm sure I haven't changed anyone's mind with this little tirade, but at least I feel better. Go ahead, call me negative. Just don't call me late for dinner.
|| JM, 12:34 PM

2 Comments:

Dinner's ready; actually just half ready, but you'll only be half full. Our Peaceful Pessimist, that's what we'll call you.
Blogger Peacechick Mary, at 2:03 PM  
I'll give you an advance warning on dinner. The glass is half empty is someone else is making the cocktails.
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment