stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Gee...

I just realized that my recent dependance on my GPS unit has one major unintended consequence. Now I apparently become even less aware of directions than I was before, since I'm now completely dependent on being spoon fed each and every turn. Comparing notes with my co-workers on how I navigated to and from a recent trip made me aware that I wasn't paying attention to route numbers and directions like I normally would have without this little crutch.

But then I stumbled upon an interesting piece about the technology, Why I got the damn thing in the first place. It explains the increasing popularity of GPS as being due to male drivers inability to ask for directions, as well as appealing to their insatiable desire for new, expensive, and unnecessary toys. Ah, it all makes sense now!

And as tempting as it was to get one of the optional celebrity voices like Mr. T or John Cleese I didn't bother to try that yet. Although the optional "Comrade Stalin" voice DOES sound sorta' interesting...
"Greetings Comrades, and welcome to the people's democratic social path finding system. Let me begin by asking you, Comrade, how come you actually have a car? Are you corrupt Comrade? What? you are a member of the central committee? Very well Comrade. So, where would like to travel today? Your dacha at Crimea? I think Lefortovo prison would be more like it. Stand by Comrade, calculating time till mother Russia achieves world domination. What? Drive time? OH, hold on. Calculating drive time. Your drive time today, Comrade, will be 45 days and 23 minutes. What you ask Comrade? Why so long? Because we don't take right turns comrade. NEVER. We would rather take the long route.
|| JM, 8:34 AM

4 Comments:

I have no sense of direction and have been wanting one of these. Maybe it will just make me worse. Hmmmmm.
Blogger Mary, at 9:40 AM  
I can totally deal with a map. Mr Pop knows that and depends on me. As for new toys, I just refuse. Every time something does something for me, that becomes one less thing I accept as a responsibility of my own. When it comes to use it or lose it, I don't want to lose any of it.
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 10:45 AM  
If I always had a co-pilot, I'd completely agree, but I never "had it" to lose. And if you ever saw what a complete spaz that I can become while driving to strange destinations you'd see why this is so appealing.
Blogger JM, at 10:56 AM  
We went out to dinner with some friends the other night and I printed out directions for them on how to get there, and the guy wouldn't even look at them, he had to use his GPS. He is completely addicted. He named his Ava.
Blogger True Jersey Girl, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment