stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, October 30, 2006

Costume Blues

The saga of the Halloween costume continues. Not wearing one to work risks branding myself as "not a team player", and that's a headache I can live without. I've found plenty of ideas that are appealing, but I'm trying to work within the following parameters: 1) low cost, 2) low effort, and 3) non humiliating or inappropriate.

My first idea was to just wear black pants and a turtleneck, pay a visit to the MAC counter, have them paint my face black and walk around carrying my iPod. But as I was bouncing this idea off a coworker, somebody else overheard and ask me "so you are changing your ethnicity for Halloween?" I hadn't though how easily this idea might be misinterpreted and it seems like that could get me in trouble with rule #3 if people don't make the connection with the Apple commercials.

But keeping with the Apple theme, I thought I could dress like a Mac, and I'd have someone else dress as a PC, but my candidate for the role of the PC guy balked, saying it was too subtle and that he wouldn't get credit for wearing a costume. I considered staying this course without him, but the consensus is that the idea is even LESS funny without having both characters.

I found this penis costume amusing, however having gone to a party as a broken condom years ago with a costume consisting of trash bags and shaving cream, it becomes a case of "been there, done that". Oh yeah, and that damn rule #3 rears it's ugly head once again. As I recall I was ask to leave that party, so it's reasonable to assume I'd get the same reaction at work.

So with necessity being the mother of invention, a trip to the basement to find one of my father-in-laws' old hard hats along with my reflective vest from running, and it looks like I'll be the lamest construction worker ever. Perhaps, I'll make the claim that I'm one of the Village People, even if I'd rather be the leather guy instead.
|| JM, 12:10 AM

9 Comments:

You could try being a pirate. Not much to it if you have an eye patch and tie something around your head. Wear the black pants and some sort of loud shirt. I don't think a pirate would piss anyone off except maybe another pirate.

Good Luck!
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 11:53 AM  
Patricia, you make a persuasive rrrrr...gument as always.
Blogger JM, at 1:48 PM  
Here's an easy one. Use those black pants and turtle neck, find a pretentious pair of eyeglasses, slap on a french accent, and go as a pretentious artist. Pretty easy, and the French part is optional!
Blogger Sebastien Millon, at 1:51 PM  
Tristement, the French part is not an option, since that wasn't one of my better subjects. But the pretentious part I've got covered.
Blogger JM, at 1:59 PM  
I'm thinking steel-toed boots and a hard hat wouldn't be a bad look on you! ~tk
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 PM  
Thanks; now do I get to pick YOUR outfit?
Blogger JM, at 6:46 PM  
Wow, I can't get past the photo long enough to read the rest of the post!!!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 PM  
Okay, I just clicked on the penis costume link. LORD have mercy...
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 PM  
So tell us, what did you decide? Do we get to see pictures?

Happy Halloween. Trick or Treat? Better be treats unless you want this raw egg all over your computer screen.


:)
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment