stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

You 'Becha!


When all else fails, a return to the classics is always a good idea. So let's look back at the classic TV series You Bet Your Life, where Groucho Mark grilled brave contestants and many times made them look like foolish buffoons.

There's a well traveled story where Groucho had a woman on the show who had many, many children. She explained it as a byproduct of loving her husband. Groucho allegedly replied "Lady, I love my cigar, too, but I take it out once in a while." Who cares if it's a true story or not; it's too darned funny and pretty representative of the tone he took with most contestants.

So it's only fitting that we turn to Groucho for our Quote(s)-A-'Da-Day:
  • I have nothing but respect for you, and not much of that.
  • Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
  • Room service? Send up a larger room.
  • Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
  • He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
  • A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
  • A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
  • Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?
  • Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
  • Tags: , ,
    || JM, 10:19 AM

    1 Comments:

    I love Groucho. That was wild, all those operations and think of how long it must have taken to pay off the Dr. and hospital. I imagine people in countries who have gov. sponsored medical plans, scratch their heads at this. Thanks for the show.
    Blogger Peacechick Mary, at 2:44 PM  

    Post a Comment