stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, September 18, 2006

Crash; No Burn

I somehow fool myself that I'm objective and open-minded. Although I sometimes do exhibit these qualities, the real issue here is a lack of consistency. Time and time again, I'll make a decision based on a snap judgment that isn't always valid or well-reasoned. When the movie "Wedding Crashers" came out, I dismissed it as being over-hyped and had no interest in seeing the movie. A big part of why I didn't see it was because Owen Wilson was in it, and I just never got his appeal. (This was reinforced by viewing the disappointing "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" which was just a suckfest and it's probably unfair to blame that on Wilson.)

So it came as a surprise to me that I even started to watch Wedding Crashers last night. What came as an even bigger surprise was that I liked it! Two overgrown adolescents who crash weddings to meet lonely women to score with certainly sounds like your typical testosterone driven gross-out comedy. But this movie quickly proved to be a heartwarming romantic comedy in the same way that "The 40 Year Old Virgin" was, just not quite as good as that classic. Maybe it's because I expected so little that I came away from this so pleasantly surprised. It's not often that you can combine a buddy flick, a wacky "guy" comedy, and a "chick flick" in one package and keep everybody happy, but this sure did. Does this mean I have to re-evaluate my resistance to watching "Anchorman"?
Tags: ,
|| JM, 7:52 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment