stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Big Boy Toys

I love gadgets, but sometimes when you see them you have to just scratch your head and wonder, "what were they thinking?" That's pretty much how I reacted to this U.S.B. Beverage Chiller which plugs into your USB port and acts like a bizarro world hotplate. Dude, if you've been at the computer long enough to have your drink get warm you probably need a break anyway. The occasional walk into the next room is probably good for you!

On the other end of the spectrum is this handy SkyScout, which combines GPS technology with a microprocessor and a database of star locations to give you a roadmap of the sky. I don't know about you, but I've never been successful at finding planets and star formations when I look up in the sky at night. I usually just stand there looking up and feeling like a dumb ass.

This little piece of genius allows you to point it at a star and it will instantly identify it and display the information on it's LCD screen and on its' audio output as well. Priced at a relatively reasonable $399, this is a unique and useful toy that I'd love to have. For now, I'll just stand and look like a dumb ass.
|| JM, 8:26 AM

3 Comments:

I don't think you look like a dumb ass standing there looking at the stars, I think you look kind of sweet :)

We sort of have a rule about bringing drinks into the computer room after the time Mr Pop spilled a beer on his keyboard.

As for the stars, you're not alone. I just look at them because on a night in a place with no artificial light, they are just so damned beautiful.
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 3:31 PM  
I feel the same way about gadgets. I have a camcorder that allows me to check email, when I should be shooting video. I actually gave up my first cell phone because playing pool for $39 a month didn't seem to have any return value.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  
I admit that beverage chiller is rather excessive but I also admit that I'd probably get a LOT of use out of it! ;)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment