stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Road Trip

I just got back from a little road trip, so I haven't had much time to surf and I really don't have fresh links to share. So, instead I'll just rant and ramble.
  • You know when you start seeing bullet points, that you're gonna' see many small and unrelated ideas without any intellectual "mortar" to hold them together. This is no exception.
  • In viewing my site stats, I noticed that someone had done a search for "affair with my boss" along with the name of where I work (which I've carefully NOT mentioned in THAT context, for legal reasons, although I've left plenty of bread-crumbs scattered about). That set off a wave of paranoia (for no reason) and caused me to go back and see why a Google search would have pointed there. After reading the entry, the referral made sense, since all the words were there in a different context. But it also reminded me that my recent postings have been of dubious quality, compared to some of the old stuff. This entry ain't changing that trend.
  • But it's not only me that's been sucky; Blogger has been way too funky for my taste the past few days. But you get what you pay for.
  • I stopped at a Starbucks on the turnpike to grab some java. I got over their snooty "Tall/Grande/Venti" sizing system long ago, and just went with the program. But a busload of tourists arrived the same time I did, and an older gentleman who obviously wasn't in their demographic was there ordering a "small". They refused to give it to him until he ordered a "tall". Scumbag...you're a barista at a reststop; just give the old guy his coffee and move on.
  • It's just that reason that prevents me from ordering the "rooty tooty fresh 'n fruity" breakfast at IHOP. I just hope that the wife orders it and then it becomes a simple "what she's having".
  • Tapping into the Starbucks backlash I see that several chains are marketing to the average Joe, although once again that damn BK King just scares the living crap out of me. But this doesn't seem to be stopping the trend of Starbucks popping up EVERWHERE, and there's one dude who is determined to visit every one of them!
  • The damn PA Turnpike has been under construction most of my adult life. Maybe this time they will get it right. Some great history (AND bad html) can be found here.
  • Even though I wasn't the least bit hungry, driving past one of the few remaining Roy Rogers Restaurants on the turnpike was tough to do. The temptation to grab a bacon-cheeseburger was almost too much to resist. But the memories are probably better than the reality.
  • I love the convenience of the iPod during long drives. So much easier than fumbling with tapes or CDs. But I picked a playlist that had some great old songs that I hadn't heard for a long time. I know that I've misheard the lyrics to the Springsteen classic "Rosalita" for so long that although I know the words are actually "Sloppy Sue and Big Bone Billy, they'll be coming up for air" I keep hearing "Sloppy Sue and Big Balls Billy". Some things you just can't change, no matter how hard you try.
  • || JM, 10:53 PM

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment