stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

End Of An Era

Anyone who has driven the Garden State Parkway or who has seen The Sopranos is likely to be familiar with the giant Pabst bottle that towered over the brewery complex. But the 75 year reign came to an end on Monday when the
Pabst bottle came down.

The bottle, was originally built as a water tank for a company that made ginger ale. After Pabst acquired the site the bottle was painted blue and adorned with it's beer bottle label. The last few years it has been a lovely red color, probably rust, befitting the abandoned brewery complex. The complex is being demolished to make way for a shopping center, another sign of the times as we shift from a manufacturing economy to a service economy.

Attempts to get landmark status for the bottle failed, and there are vague commitments that the bottle will be reassembled and will reappear elsewhere, but that remains to be seen. Let's hope for a creative rebirth.
|| JM, 9:03 AM

5 Comments:

What a shame! I grew up in Milwaukee where it was 'all beer, all the time'. Well, except for the cheese . . . And the Packers . . .

I have to wonder, though, how a nation that's become so "service" oriented can sustain itself over the long haul. I guess time will tell . . .
Blogger Unknown, at 10:34 AM  
Yes indeed, what this country needs is one more damned shopping center. The things are like cockroaches, they pop up everywhere. Where I live they chop down trees in the name of one more f**king shopping center. Soon the stores go out of business so they build another one. I hate them!
Blogger pissed off patricia, at 1:55 PM  
I never, absolutely ever go to shopping centers, but I would go a ways to see a giant bottle of beer. Wonder where it will show up. Be sure to tell us when you spot it.
Blogger Peacechick Mary, at 3:44 PM  
Don't get me wrong, but for Newark to replace a decaying industrial complex with a mixed use development including retail and residential components, sure seems like they would be trading up. But I've seen so many of these done badly, I cringe at the thought of yet another. Let's hope this one is one of the good ones. Ideally, I'd like to see the bottle stay here, where it has some historical context, like they did with the Colgate sign in Jersey City.
Blogger JM, at 4:33 PM  
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hate seeing this thing come down and I've never even TASTED a Pabst.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment