stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Everybody's Got A Hunger, A Hunger They Can't Resist

So I'm just tooling around on Google, and I come across these stunningly beautiful illustrations of diners by John Baeder which caused me to contemplate the subject and start trolling for links. It's certainly not the first time I've been distracted by shiny objects. But you have to bear in mind, I'm the guy (pathetic loser) who keeps the New Orleans BourboCAM page open in a browser tab, just in case some drunken female Mardi Gras reveler becomes a revealer (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Diners are thought of as a quintessential part of New Jersey, even though approximately 3,000 remain in operation across the country. But with over 500 remaining here, it means NJ has more than any other state.

Many have questions concerning what really IS a diner?, but when trying to answer these kind of questions it's more a case of attitude (typically greasy spoon cuisine, but there are exceptions) and NOT architecture that wind up resolving the question. Diners can be fast, but they aren't fast food. "Chains" need not apply.

"There's so much that you want, you deserve much more than this", but what you're getting is a giant linkdump of dining related topics:
Diner City
Googie Coffeeshop Architecture
Googie Gallery
Dining With The Sopranos
New Jersey Neon
Route 40 Diners
Slyders
Louis' Lunch: Birthplace of the hamburger?
Hamburger Trick
The Triple Tofu Tower
Dead Man Eating
America's Landmark: Under The Orange Roof
Everybody Goes To Gino's
My Favorite Pizza
|| JM, 12:13 AM

3 Comments:

mmmm...diners. there's a place in Bordentown called Mastoris. fantastic!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  
Isn't "Diner" short for "Dining Car"? They're all old railroad cars, right? There's one in a small town near me that's pretty cool. Unfortunately it's tucked sideways in between two brick buildings so you can't see the sides and have to enter from one end. Kinda ruins the magic.
Blogger Neil Shakespeare, at 8:32 PM  
Booboo, I'll add that one to my list of places to someday try. And Neil, I'm intrigued since I used to live in your neck of the woods, and I have no idea where that is at.
Blogger JM, at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment