stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

More Ranting

I feel another rant coming on. I don't normally complain about a co-worker, but it might be safer to get it off my chest here than to explode all over her, and I'm certainly not using any sort of sexual double entendre there. Her daily dose of negativity is sort of like the bizarro world version of Mary Tyler Moore ("Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?") that can take a good day and make it into a bad one. Obviously, that's no fun to have to put up with on a daily basis.

If I felt that confrontation on this would resolve anything, I would do so. But since she really doesn't listen to half of what I say and goes into the defensive mode on most things, I know that would just be an exercise in frustration and give her some additional backstabbing opportunities as well. I hesitate to even put that negative accusation out there since I know that it can be a hurtful statement, and I know she doesn't view herself that way. I used to have a boss that would ocasionaly tell me that I was negative and pessimistic. I would try to explain that she was wrong on the first and right on the second, since they aren't the same but that never went over well.

I feel that pessimism isn't the same as being negative, and in fact represents a positive value. A pessimist plans for and aspires to success, but is mindful that the results might not be as hoped for. I might have supported Kerry in the presidential election as the better choice, but as a pessimist I was prepared for the worst case scenario. Maybe that's not the best example, since even I can't just stoically roll with the punches given the ineptitude of Dubya's administration, but hopefully you get the idea.

I'm going absolutely nowhere with this ramble, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. There, I feel better already.
|| JM, 8:55 AM

1 Comments:

I worked with a lady who was like that and just couldn't stand being around her. I know she was hurt, but finally I told her that her negative approach to everything was such a downer for me that I could be around her too much. I told her I was just too sensitive to that and apologised if her feelings were hurt, but that was how I had to deal with it. She did make an effort to be a little more positive around me, but she didn't change. She loved being a victim. Now here I am spouting off. You do have my sympathies.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment