stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

And Now A Word From Our Sponsor:

One of the things I hate this time of year is seeing people running around on a mission to get rather specific (and apparently life enhancing) "stuff" that is on their loved ones Christmas list. Many people have a great sense of perspective, and don't bust a vein if they can't find it, but not everyone takes the big picture view. As their frustration builds while they travel from store to store in search of the holy grail, it becomes increasingly likely that they will take out their frustrations on some unsuspecting salesperson...or more likely me.

Just the other day some guy ask me if we carried that silly B&D jar opener, which we didn't pick up this year. I could see "that look", which is equal parts disbelief and rage. As the holiday shopping season progresses, the equation shifts into a higher proportion of rage.

But there are so many reasons why in a materialistic, consumer driven society this phenomenon exists that I won't even try to list them all. But one of the key offenders has to be the commercials that suggest that the product is the best thing since sliced bread. If I didn't know better, I'd say that they contained subliminal, hypnotic messages. A case in point: today I was looking at a commercial for the Hamilton Beach Toaststation which is a product that is a combination toaster oven and two slice toaster. I've seldom seen a sillier or more unnecessary product, yet the blond babe who was selling it in the commercial had such a convincing, mesmerizing presence that I was utterly captivated by her presentation. For a brief moment, I almost thought it was a good idea. Thank goodness it wasn't a redhead, or I would probably have called and ordered it, since I'm usually powerless to resist redheads.

A few "bad commercial" links for 'ya:
Commercials I Hate
Awful Commercials
Outrageous Commercials
Amazingly Bad Commercial Generator
Bad commercials of the past
Crazy Eddie Insane Tribute Page
The Passing Of The Pillsbury Dough Boy!
SNL Commercial parodies
Polo: Small But Tough
|| JM, 12:11 AM

2 Comments:

Well, you think that's silly; look at this one; but since I'm a redhead I might be able to convince you to buy this one
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72727.asp?source=google&keyword=Egg%20poacher%20toaster&cm_ven=NewGate&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Last%20Min%20Gift05&cm_ite=Egg%20poacher%20toaster
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:49 PM  
Sign me right up for that! I'm just disappointed that it can't make the breakfast sandwich and play the radio at the same time!
;P
Blogger JM, at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment