stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Running Observations

I started out the day with an ambitious agenda. But I soon gave in to a lazy day inertia that pushed many items off or farther down my list of things to do. Finally at mid day, I realized that I had to get my lazy ass in gear so I decided to go for a run. This is usually a bad idea when it's this hot, so I decided to go a different route, which takes me into a more hilly neighborhood, but one that has plenty of trees lining the streets to keep things cool.

It was the first time since last summer's knee injury that I ran there, and since it's an area that had many large ranch houses on large lots, it's a prime area for McMansion type tear-down/reconstruction. Some friends of ours recently tore down their old, modest split level and they replaced it with new construction. I had to run past it to check up on it's status, but there is nothing "Mc" about what they built.

So as I'm running through the neighborhood, I'm checking out houses, landscaping, etc. and just generally enjoying what a glorious day it was. I notice a McMansion that looks pretty much like the one I passed 10 mins. before. This drives me crazy, since this house is so unimaginative in design that it has the same layout and all the same styling details that the other house did. It's so lame that they even built the same damn driveway...oh, wait...it's the same house. Somehow I've been running in circles and didn't even realize it. Suddenly it occurred to me that running in circles was perhaps a metaphor for my life. But as Freud put it, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".
|| JM, 12:03 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment