stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Joining The Cult



Well, it looks like I've joined the cult and drank the cool aid. After taking step one with getting an iPod, and being impressed by their fit, finish, and the attention that Apple pays to design and execution, I was one step closer to accepting the possibility that having a Mac around the house wouldn't be such a bad thing. The wife uses one at work, and for years has been singing their praises, and wanting to get one for those days she works from home, but we never quite got around to it. Since the two computers we have now weren't worth the hastle of upgrading to use with the iPod, and since the Windows machines that I would have wanted (something either Sony, running Windows Media Center, capable of running Half-Life2, or preferably all of the above) seemed more than what I wanted to spend right now, I opted for a iBook G4.

I tried to buy this last week, but the Apple store didn't have the larger HD on hand, and kept trying to push last years model, or the new one with the smaller HD. This wouldn't have worked, since I'll be sure to clog up the drive with a ton of apps....that I just happen to have.....gotta love free software. Since I then ordered it on-line, I've been following it's progress via FedEx like a kid tracking Santa with radar. Except, Christmas came early, since according to the tracking info, yesterday it was in Anchorage, and was going to be dropped off Monday morning at 10:30, but the good 'ol FedEx guy dropped it off at 9 this morning. Figures, it would come on a day that I had planned with a full agenda (bought new sink and vanity for bathroom update, 1 doctor appointment, 1 dentist visit, food shopping and laundry). Finally got to sit down and play with both toys late in the afternoon. Just sitting here now shoveling my CD collection into the iPod, surfing the web, and watching TV.

I'm amazed at the stupidity that I'm seeing on the boob tube. You might just ask, why not turn it off, but then I wouldn't be multitasking as many things, and somehow my life wouldn't seem as full. A commercial just came on for a movie that features at least three blurb/reviews from Larry King. That's the best they can do? The movie must really suck.... I remember (not really) The Who doing an album called "The Who Sell Out". They have apparently turned into those that they used to make fun of, since they seem to have given JC Penney the use of "Let My Love Open The Door" for their Xmas commercials; I'm not sure what value that ads to the commercials except to remind us that "The Who" has seen better days, just like JC Penney. And while I'm picking on retailers, please call the irony police, since I keep seeing commercials for The Wal-Mart Literacy Fund. What, they want their customers to read? Gee, they might find out the ugly truth about Wal-Mart's labor and business practices; seems risky to me!
|| JM, 7:34 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment