stats count

John's Blog

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day....Teach him to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks!

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Art Of PowerPoint



Some love it while others hate it, and the rest of us just have to sit there and suffer. I've only got enough patience to sit through one or two more meetings that utilize bad PowerPoint before I go postal. But in all fairness, blaming PP for bad presentations is like blaming Word for lousy writing. It just facilitates bad presentations. PP is only part of the trend towards dumbing things down, and dealing with issues and concepts in a superficial and oversimplified way. I'm sure there is a direct correlation between this trend and the re-election of Bush, but let's not go there today.

I had to do a PP as part of my final project for my advanced Java class, and my teacher told me that in all his years of teaching, I was the first student to incorporate humor into a PP presentation on that subject. Not suprising, since there isn't a lot funny about Java for the most part, but I've always found a way to inject humor into most circumstances, even if it is dark humor. Without further ado, here are some fun PP related links:

PowerPoint Remix
The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Presented in the Form of a PowerPoint Presentation
The Gettysburg Powerpoint Presentation:11/19/1863
"Do I press this button here? Function-F7? No, that's not right. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to reboot. Hold on a minute. Um, my name is Abe Lincoln."
You Have A Very Bad Hotel
The classic powerpoint presentation from two angry customers!
The PowerPoint Anthology of Literature
Great books distilled to their essence and presented in the most efficient form of communication ever devised.
How To Make A Bad Powerpoint Presentation
Not That Anyone Needs Help With That!
PowerPoint Viewer
With this download, you can view PowerPoint presentations even if you don't have PowerPoint.
PowerPoint Links
HOW-TO: Put PowerPoint on your iPod
If you have an iPod Photo and use PowerPoint and don't want to lug around a computer
|| JM, 8:31 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment